Sunday, August 24, 2014

Home-Lovin'

So I recently and FINALLY gave myself a 'home' fund in our budget. This means that I can actually start putting (a teensy bit of) money into beautifying our home and I'm really excited. Later, we can do bigger projects, but for now I am enjoying doing a few little makeovers. So here are my two most recent ones. 

 Here's our front door. With our HOA, we used to not be allowed to paint our doors but the recently changed their policy and decided we are allowed to paint them as a form of personal expression as long as we keep them conservative (which, to me, is totally open to interpretation). So here is the BEFORE photo. It was dark green with sticky adhesive gunk all over it. 


 And here is the AFTER! One of my neighbors painted hers green, the other one wants to paint hers blue/purple, my house is tan, orange would clash, pink is too feminine for Garrett, and I felt like red was too safe. So I had a lot of colors I felt I couldn't choose, so I landed on yellow and I'm super pleased with the way it turned out!


 And I bought 2 chairs like this from DI for $5 each. This is obviously the BEFORE picture. I had never reupholstered anything and I've always wanted to give it a try so I figured, why not now!


Here's the AFTER. (This is actually the other chair. I finished one entirely and still haven't even started the other... oops). Apparently I like yellow more than I used to think I did because I'm kind of loving it lately. I painted the metal part a navy blue (because I already have a ton of navy paint and it goes with the color scheme). It was kinda annoying though because I think spray paint would have been way easier for something with so many curves and no large flat spaces, but I'm trying to spend as little as possible and be resourceful so I painstakingly hand-painted the whole thing. And then I gold-dipped the bottoms. You can't totally tell it's gold vs. tan, but it is, it's metallic and pretty and I think it makes it look more modern. Anyway, soon I'll post what this whole little entryway area looks like when it's done, but for now, you can just enjoy my BEFOREs and AFTERs of my door and chairs. 

Happy home lovin' to me!

2 comments:

Meedy said...

Love the door and chairs! Yellow is a great color! SUPER CUTE! You are so talented.

Debbie said...

Your new door is so happy. I like it a lot.