Monday, August 4, 2014

Some Light Reading

Ok, I'm pretty sure all of you know my mom and sister, Jessi, died when I was 9. As a result, I kind of have this preference not to indulge in media that has lots of (or sometimes any) death. For instance, there is a movie out right now (at least I think it's out) called "The Fault in our Stars" about 2 cancer patients that fall in love. And it looks really good. However, kind of no matter how good it is, I don't really ever want to see it. 2 cancer patients falling in love? I'm pretty sure there's no way that that movie is NOT about death. So I will probably not go see it. 

When I am looking to entertain myself via tv, movies, articles, or books, I mostly want to be uplifted. And for me, personally, death usually makes me sad and not happy, even if it's beautiful and poetic. So other people can see a movie like "The Fault in our Stars" and totally be uplifted, but I really wouldn't be, most likely. And I think that's totally fine if other people can handle things like that, I just choose to keep things light, for my own benefit. 

Recently, I've read a couple of books that I thought were fine and then the main character surprisingly died on me. That makes me sad and upset. When I think a story is lighthearted and pleasant, and then they bring elements of reality into it, via death, it makes me depressed and even annoyed. 

And since in just the past month I've read 2 or 3 that did that, I'm kinda feeling paranoid about ever reading again right now. (Trust issues, anyone?) 

I feel like I need to have someone screen my books for me before I read them. Like do a quick Internet search to find out spoilers and make sure no one important dies before I read it. That might sound a little insane or obsessive, but whatever. If your mom and sister died when you were just a kid, traumatizing you and creating lasting abandonment issues, maybe you'd choose the same route. 

Anyway, on a positive note, one of the 4 books I've read in the last month, was really great. The no-death thing helped (just because of the other books being simultaneously read) but in general it was just a really fun book. 


It's called "Cinder" by Marissa Meyer. It's a fun take on the Cinderella story but she's a cyborg! in futuristic China. The other books in the series follow other fairy tales too (like Little Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, etc). In this one, she's kind of an outcast because cyborgs are considered freakish, plus there's like a plague that's killing off lots of other people in it and there are people inhabiting the moon trying to have good relations with their Commonwealth. Anyway, it's really good. Like the content is interesting and fresh plus the writing is really good too. Overall, yay for this one out of 4 books being good enough to not convince me to give up reading forever. 

Any reading suggestions for me? I like obviously no death of main characters and love stories without detailed intimate scenes and young adult fiction (because I'm very much still a 16 year old girl at heart). And it's even better if there's not much wait for it at the library... I already know I LOVE Meg Cabot and some* Nicholas Sparks books (feel free to suggest some of his where only side characters die because lots of his have made me too sad so without more outcome certainty I'm taking a little break from his for now) and Hunger Games and Twilight. I've read Divergent, Matched, the Uglies, Delirium, lotsa books like that. And I'm reading the Wheel of Time books (and not looking to have other 14-book long series' anytime soon). If you think of any I might like (that I'm safe reading), feel free to share them with me. 

And until next time, happy reading to you too (unless you don't read, or if you like the emotional ones- to each his own)! 

3 comments:

Sunni said...

If you got the other comment, sorry for repeating, but. ..
I reserved Cinder, Scarlet, and *not rapunzel, today. I'm pretty excited. No wait, so I should have them Tuesday.

Debbie said...

I really liked the book "the selection" by Kiera Cass. I couldn't get into Cinder, but I think it was because I started it right after I had read two really intriguing books. Also Princess Academy is really good if you haven't read that. I must really like princess books.

Kasey Strong said...

I didn't get a different comment, Sunni, so that sounds lovely. Good luck to you. I'm only on book two, which is Scarlet, so I hope I end up actually liking the whole series bc if the finale is dumb then it kind of ruins the whole thing for me. And thanks for the suggestions, Debbie! I will probably read those next now that you mentioned some pre-approved ones for me! :) And I read the Princess Diaries and loved them, so maybe I like princess books too!